Skip to content

Food premises registration

Find out more about registering your food business.

Licence summary

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the local authority. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the local authority or the Meat Hygiene Service, rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, contact your local authority.

Eligibility criteria: No provision in legislation

Regulation summary: A summary of the regulation relating to the hygiene of foodstuffs

Application evaluation process: No provision in legislation

Will tacit consent apply? Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period

Apply online: Please use the links on the right.

Failed application redress: Please contact Boston Borough Council in the first instance.

Licence holder redress: Please contact Boston Borough Council in the first instance.

Consumer complaint: We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Adviceguide, self help from Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Trade associations: