Skip to content

Report a street or footway lighting fault

Reporting a street or footway lighting fault within the borough of Boston.

Street or footway lighting

Most of the street or footway lighting within the Borough of Boston is owned, operated and maintained by Lincolnshire County Council.

Boston Borough Council operated lights can be distinguished by a number painted black on a white background on the column.

Lincolnshire County Council operated lights can be distinguished by a number painted black on a yellow background on the column.

In a few locations there are private outdoor lights. These may be owned and maintained by private individuals or shared between groups of dwelling owners. These lights are not on public highways and so neither Boston Borough Council nor Lincolnshire County Council have the power or responsibility to attend to them. If there is a danger call the police.

What service can I expect?

Normally, we aim to complete repairs within seven working days. The exceptions to this are where there is a fault with the electricity supply which requires the electricity supply company to attend and where the fault is as a result of vandal damage or the lantern and pole bracket or column requires replacement.

How do I report a fault?

For all Boston Borough Council lights.

During normal working hours:

Telephone: (01205) 314280 or 314284 08:45 to 17:15pm Monday to Thursday and 08:45 to 16:45 on Friday.

E-Form: Use the link on the right.

Please ensure all of the below details are made available otherwise we may not be able to locate the light and carry out the repair.

For lighting that is not the responsibility of Boston Borough Council contact Lincolnshire County Council on 01522 782070 or via their e-form using the link on the right.


A light damaged, for instance, by a vehicle driving into the column or one that has been vandalised and is electrically or structurally unsafe is classed as an emergency and we aim to get a qualified person on site to make it safe within two hours of notification.

How do I report an emergency?

During normal office hours telephone 01205 314280 and 314284 (the same number as faults)

Out of normal office hours or weekends and bank holidays contact the police on 0300 111 0300

Please note that the fastest response to emergencies will be by telephone. E-form reports may not be read until it is too late.

Routine faults such as a lamp out are not classed as an emergency and may not be taken by the Police.

Emergency calls are taken for: