Boston cemetery is at the same site as the crematorium and directions can be found on the 'how to find us' page opposite.
Boston cemetery was opened in 1855 and since then nearly 38,000 burials have taken place. A full index of burials is kept at the cemetery office, and it is possible to locate every grave, given the name of the deceased and approximate date of death.
There are some 10,000 memorials in the cemetery, which the local Family History group has indexed and recorded. The cemetery office has a copy of this index also. Prior to the opening of this cemetery, burials would have taken place in local churchyards or in the former St. Johns Cemetery, Skirbeck Road, Boston. Records for St. Johns cemetery and older churchyard burials are kept at Lincoln Archives Office, Rumbold Street, Lincoln. St. Johns Cemetery has been cleared of memorials.
In the original part of Boston cemetery several impressive memorials can be found, the most famous of which is that to Sir Herbert Ingram MP, founder of the London Illustrated News. Ingram drowned along with his son, when the vessel they were aboard sank on Lake Michigan in North America. His body was returned to Boston and buried in the cemetery. Dogs are not permitted in the cemetery, except for guide dogs, or a dog accompanying a person attending a funeral service.
An overview map of Boston cemetery
Opening times for Boston cemetery:
- November, December, January - 9am to 5pm
- February - 9am to 5.30pm
- March and October - 9am to 6pm
- April - 9am to 8pm
- May, June, July, August - 9am to 8.30pm
- September - 9am to 7.30pm