Animal boarding establishment licence
Information on animal boarding establishment license requirements, application form and link to apply online
To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you need a licence from the local authority. The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.
A local authority may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.
Eligibility Criteria: An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:
- keeping an animal boarding establishment
- keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
- keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
- owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
- owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006. In Scotland an applicant must also not be disqualified from working with, using, driving or riding animals, providing services to animals that would involve taking possession of them, taking possession of an animal to carry out any of the activities listed or taking charge of animals for any other purpose
Regulation Summary: A summary of the regulation relating to an animal boarding establishment licence
Application Evaluation Process: Fees will be payable for applications and conditions may be attached.
The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:
- That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
- That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
- That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
- That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
- That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.
Will Tacit Consent Apply? No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it.
Apply online: You can do this online if you applied through the GOV.UK website or use the links on the right.
Failed Application Redress: Please contact Boston Borough Council in the first instance. Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court
Licence Holder Redress: Please contact Boston Borough Council in the first instance. Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.
Consumer Complaint: We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Adviceguide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
The fee payable for this application is: £102.00
For any licensing enquiries please contact us using the details on the left. A member of the licensing team will normally be available at the Municipal Buildings on weekdays 9am - noon and 2pm - 5pm (4.30pm on Fridays). We may be available at other times by prior appointment
|[103kb]||Animal Boarding Application Form||Application form|
|[391kb]||Cattery Conditions and Guidance||Conditions attached to a cattery licence|
|[401kb]||Kennel Conditions and Guidance||Conditions attached to a kennel licence|
The documents in this section are in Adobe Acrobat format (pdf). You will need Acrobat Reader to view these files which can be downloaded from the Adobe website free of charge.