Skip to content

Paying your council tax

The council will send you a council tax bill at the beginning of each financial year (usually mid March) to notify you of the amount you need to pay on a monthly basis.

Payments are due on the first of each month over the first 10 months starting 1st April. You will therefore normally pay between April and the following January each year.

You can pay your council tax as follows:

If you need to make a payment to Rossendales or Bristow & Sutor you can use the link on the right to their website:

Boston Borough Council accepts no responsibility for third party websites.

When you must pay

Payment of council tax is due in statutory instalments and must be paid on or before the due date. You will receive a letter each year detailing the amounts you must pay and the dates they are due.

What to do if you think your bill is wrong

If you wish to query your council tax bill or ask for advice about your council tax charge, please contact our Revenues and Benefits staff.

There are appeal rights if you consider you are not liable to pay council tax. For example:

If you are unhappy with the way you have been charged or do not feel you have received a satisfactory answer to a previous enquiry, you should write to us with all the relevant details, so we have the opportunity to reconsider the case. You will receive a written response, giving you the decision made and the reasons for that decision. If you are still unhappy, you can ask for your case to be referred to the council tax ombudsman.


If you leave the area to move elsewhere during the financial year, we will close your council tax account with us on the day you move. As council tax is a daily charge this action could result in a credit balance on your account.

If we hold bank details for you any monies due to you will be returned by BACS, if not then a cheque will be issued usually within 10 days of your account being closed. You should contact us to provide accurate details of your move and a forwarding address.

What happens if you don't pay

Remember that paying by direct debit ensures that your payments are made on time every month.

If you pay late we will send you a reminder or final notice. We normally send only one reminder before taking further action

Please contact the council as soon as you realise that you cannot pay your council tax. If we can help or advise you at this stage it may prevent the situation becoming more serious.

We want to work to help you by:

However, if you do not contact us and you do not pay, you may lose your right to pay by instalments and then might be required to pay the full balance outstanding. If you do not pay, you will receive a summons, and incur additional court costs of £75.00

If you receive a summons

If you are unable to pay the amount due by the court date we will discuss a manageable payment arrangement with you. This will not stop the court proceedings. However, providing you make the payments as arranged we will not enforce the liability order obtained at Court. The Court proceedings can only be stopped if the amount due is paid in full, including court costs. If the Court decides you are responsible for paying and you have not paid in full, they can issue a liability order. This enables the Council to take various steps to recover the unpaid Council Tax, including passing it to an enforcement agent to recover. Changes to enforcement agents rules from 6 April 2014

The Council employs Rossendales,Bristow & Sutor and Newlyn, the contact details for them are as follows;

Bristow & Sutor
Bartleet Road
Telephone: 08716 770 070


Wavell House
Holcombe Road
Telephone: 08456 444100


Newlyn PLC,
180-188 Northolt Road
South Harrow
Telephone: 01604 633001


Related documents

Size Name
[86kb] Direct Debit Mandate Direct Debit
[33kb] Standing Order Mandate Standing Order Mandate

The documents in this section are in Adobe Acrobat format (pdf). You will need Acrobat Reader to view these files which can be downloaded from the Adobe website free of charge.