Skip to content

Housing advice for older people thinking of moving home

This information will help you consider the options available so that you can make a decision about moving home.

There are many reasons why people move, but it is important that you think carefully about what your needs, are both now and for the future, including:

If you are renting, you could ask your landlord about a transfer to a property more suitable for your needs.

These are some of the choices available if you are thinking of moving:

a) Alternative Owner-Occupied or Private Rented Accommodation (often known as retirement housing)
Flats and bungalows designed for older people may be available to buy or rent privately. These are advertised in local newspapers and estate agents. They usually have an emergency alarm system, which may be a push-button pendant, pull cords or an emergency telephone, or a combination of these. The services offered depend on where you live.

You should fully consider any conditions attached to purchasing the property such as restrictions if you wish to sell at a later date.

b) Social and Affordable Housing (often known as Council or Housing Association housing)
If you would like more information on applying for Social and Affordable Housing please see Boston Homechoice in Related articles. Your housing needs will be assessed to decide what type of property you qualify for. Your support needs will also be assessed to work out what help you need. Adult Social Care Services (formerly Social Services) will assess any extra support needs you may have. You may have to pay for this support.

c) Sheltered Housing
Sheltered housing is usually a group of self-contained flats or bungalows with 24-hour support from a phone system, pendant, or pull-cord (or a combination of these). It is available for people who are mostly independent, although if you need extra care and support with everyday jobs, you should contact Adult Social Care Services for a Social Care Assessment.

To apply for sheltered housing, you will need to fill in a Housing application form which can be found on the Boston Homechoice web page - see Related articles. Every sheltered housing unit:

Most groups of dwellings have a visiting Scheme Manager and communal areas where you can meet your neighbours and friends. Organised activities, visiting services, and support with everyday living may be available depending on your circumstances, although you may have to pay for these.

d) Care Homes providing personal and nursing care
You can move to a care home when you can no longer live at home. Care homes are provided by Lincolnshire County Council, voluntary/charitable organisations or privately owned. All registered care homes are strictly regulated by the Commission of Social Care Inspection. Adult Social Care can give you a list of all care homes in the area and advice on possible help towards the costs.

Useful telephone numbers:

For links to the websites for each of these organisations, see Useful links