We assist and provide advice to people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness.
Our first priority is to prevent homelessness so it is vital we are contacted as early as possible in order to assist you.
Homeless prevention measures include:
- Rent Deposit Scheme - to assist eligible households in to private sector housing
- Homeless prevention payment of up £750
- Debt Advice and referral to Boston Citizens Advice Bureau
- Sanctuary Scheme - to enable victims of domestic violence to remain in their own home if it is safe and desired by the victim
- Mediation - to resolve family disputes where a household member(s) have been asked to leave home.
Unfortunately households do become homeless which is very frightening and traumatic. The Housing Options team will do everything possible to advise and assist you through the process.
When people approach the Council as homeless or threatened with homelessness details of your circumstances will be taken. This may lead in some cases to a formal application being made. The Council are required to investigate thoroughly every homeless claim made to determine whether applicants are:
- Eligible for assistance
- Homeless or threatened with homelessness within 28 days
- Have a priority need
- Have a local connection
- Homeless or threatened with homelessness through no fault of your own.
The Housing Act 1996 (Part V11 - Homelessness) as amended by the Homelessness Act 2002 is the law governing when and how Councils take homeless applications.
The Governments Code of Guidance outlines how applications should be assessed and what information we are required to give to you in reaching decisions.
|[778kb]||Rent deposit leaflet||Rent deposit leaflet|
|[303kb]||Homelessness Prevention Policy 2010||Homelessness prevention policy 2010|
|[241kb]||Homelessness decision making flowchart||Homelessness decision making flowchart|
The documents in this section are in Adobe Acrobat format (pdf). You will need Acrobat Reader to view these files which can be downloaded from the Adobe website free of charge.